As a public charter school, Akoben accepts new students on the basis of a random lottery each year. Any child that is eligible to attend a public school is eligible to attend Akoben. Applications are accepted for all grades that are available (K3-8) on a rolling basis, but must be submitted one week before the annual lottery in order to be included. Applications submitted after the lottery date will be added to the end of the wait list in order they are received.
- 2021-2022 SY: K3 through 2nd grade
- 2022-2023 SY: K3 through 3rd grade
- 2023-2024 SY: K3 through 4th grade
- 2024-2025 SY: K3 through 5th grade
- …each year a new grade level will be added until we reach the 8th grade
All applications must be delivered in-person to the school where they will be reviewed for accuracy prior to acceptance. All applications will be date and time stamped and must be completed and received before January 31st of each year. Applications received after the deadline will be automatically placed on the waitlist. In addition to the application, parents, with their child to be admitted, must attend a mandatory orientation to complete the admissions process at a time and date to be determined annually.
Akoben’s admissions are held through a random lottery. Akoben’s lottery drawing takes place in February every year for prospective students entering in July of the same year.
Participate in Akoben’s Admissions Lottery
- Each student interested in attending Akoben’s lottery must fill out an application. We are accepting applications for the 2020-21 school year from October 1, 2019 through midnight, January 31st, 2020.
- After submitting an application, you will receive a confirmation email that includes your assigned lottery number. If you do not receive a lottery number by February 1, 2020, it is your responsibility to contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Your child must have a lottery number in order to participate in the lottery.
Akoben gives lottery preference to Hoboken residents in the following order: (Students who are already enrolled do not participate in the lottery.)
- Students entering from the Akoben Early Learning Center
- Siblings of students currently enrolled (includes foster children)
- Students who qualify for either low income or ELL preference
- Students whose parents/guardians are employed by Akoben
- Students who live within a 3-mile radius of the school
- Students and families that have attended the mandatory orientation
- All other eligible students entering Kindergarten through 8th grade
Mark Your Calendars
Akoben’s 2020-21 Admissions Lottery will be held on Saturday, February 8, 2020, 10:00 am at the Akoben Early Learning Center, located at 5625 Sunnyside Road. Families can choose to attend the lottery or wait for the results to be posted on our website the following day. Those who are offered a seat for July 2020 will be notified immediately; all others will be placed on the wait list and contacted when/if seats become available.
In addition to the application and the lottery, parents, with their child to be admitted, must attend a mandatory orientation to complete the admissions process at a time and date to be determined annually. The orientation will take place after the lottery and two meeting times will be offered:
- Thursday, April 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM
- Saturday, April 24, 2020 at 9:00 AM
If a child is not offered a spot through the lottery, he/she is placed on a waiting list and may be admitted as seats become available. To find your position on the wait list, check out our Admissions Waitlist or email our Admissions Office at email@example.com.
Want to learn more? Contact us today!
It is a policy of Akoben Academy of Indianapolis not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability in its educational programs or employment policies as required by the Indiana Civil Rights Act (IC.22-9-1), IC 20-8-1-2, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Pay Act of 1973, Title IX (1972) Educational Amendments), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Inquiries regarding compliance with Title IX, Section 504 or the Americans with Disabilities Act should be directed to the Director of Student Services (student/parent) or Director of Human Resources employee/applicant) 5625 Sunnyside Road, Indianapolis, Indiana 46235 or to the Office for Civil Rights, US Department of Education, Washington, D.C.5>